One of the greatest ways of improving a kitchen’s look and feel is by having tiles installed in the main areas. Kitchen tiles can help give your kitchen a facelift, as well as increase its value. Tiled kitchens are a lot easier to clean and maintain than other surfaces. This is why most people would choose to have tiles installed, not only in the kitchen, but in other areas in the home as well. You can decide to use tiles on the kitchen floor, wall and even on countertops . Choosing the right tiles for your kitchen can however be tricky especially if you aren’t experienced in the field (most of us aren’t!)
Discussed below are several types of tiles you could use in your kitchen.
1. Ceramic Tiles: Ceramic tiles are great for kitchen floors, walls and around countertops. Made from baked earthen materials, ceramic tiles are heat resistant, highly durable and are available in a variety of designs and colours from which to choose.
2. Porcelain Kitchen Tiles: Porcelain tiles have a almost the same texture and colouration as real stones, hence present a natural look and feel. These tiles are much stronger than ceramic tiles. They can withstand heavy weights from falling items, do not chip, and are practically scratch free. Most people use these for their countertops, and especially around the kitchen’s working area.
3. Glass Tiles: These are the most sophisticated and classy tiles you can use in your kitchen. Glass tiles are heat resistant, do not stain and can last for a long time. These make a great choice for the kitchen walls. Glass tiles help enhance distribution of light within the kitchen, and are very easy to keep clean.
4. Stone Tiles: These are considered to be the most luxurious of all kitchen tiles on the market. Stone tiles are available in two categories, and may be inexpensive or expensive depending on the material used. Slate stone tiles are specially made to be inexpensive, while the marble variety are luxurious hence very expensive. These tiles can be used almost everywhere in the kitchen.
5. Backsplash Tiles: These are specially made for kitchen walls. The tiles can be made of ceramic, glass, stone or even porcelain materials. Unlike most tiles, these aren’t scratch resistant but do come in different colours. They do require some maintenance but last for a long time if well cared for. One fact remains unchanged when choosing a tile type to use in your kitchen, quality comes with price. Pricey tiles are more durable and chic compared to the inexpensive option. The type of tiles you choose to use in your kitchen will be partly dictated by the budget you have allocated for the project.